Monday, March 16, 2009

Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens) making pop music again!!!


Yusuf Islam, better known as Cat Stevens, is getting back to what he does best, writing good pop music! I wasn't too keen on 2006's 'An Other Cup' but a new record is already on it's way called 'Roadsinger (To Warm You Through The Night)'. "I was absent from my audience for so long, people thought another album would never come," said Yusuf of the new record. " The 2006 album was a surprise. With this new album, the distance is much less. I'm back to doing what I do best – painting pictures with music and storytelling on a very human, positive, intuitive level through lyrics and song, so I can help people feel good again."

On a personal level, growing up as a Muslim and being into rock n' roll or just music in general always seemed to pose a problem in the community. It was confusing to say the least to find a talent, love and passion so innately part of my being and have the religious figures, community, and overall culture frown upon it, using every absurd excuse to put it down. Artists in general were never given and still don't get their due respect in the Muslim community, although there are signs now that hint of that narrow minded attitude may be changing. It's a huge issue that needs more attention and a bigger discussion but Muslims may finally be getting it. Especially in the times we live in presently, art and music are major players in bridging the gap between Western and Islamic cultures, caused by so much
misunderstanding and ignorance. Music is truly a gift and universal language irregardless of race, religion or creed.

For me there was no role model or public face to relate to. When I discovered Cat Stevens, even though as a kid he seemed a bit too folky, it was still cool to know that here was a Muslim who was at one time considered to be one of the great rock n' roll songwriters, up there with Dylan or the Beatles. When I heard that he stopped playing, I resented him. Sure it might have been snot nosed and arrogant, but for a 15 year old kid who loved music so much to the point of pursuing it as a career (God forbid!) and was equally proud of his religious heritage, hearing that the one person I could relate to on that level had stopped making music because of our religion was disheartening. As I matured and grew into my own as a songwriter, I rediscovered his music and found a new respect for his work as an artist, as a humanitarian and as a Muslim. Who knows if his new work can match up to his classics. From the sound of it he's going back to his roots and that's a good sign. I'm just so glad he's pickin' up the guitar and singin' songs again! He's still got the goods as far as I'm concerned. Check out his recent performance of the classic "Peace Train" on Jools Holland.


Alhamdulillah.


Din

P.S. At 2:51 I think Johnny Borell of Razorlight was quaking in his boots! But they suck anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment